Friday, January 13, 2012

Harbingers of spring.....

I love to see the snowdrops start to poke their tiny heads up from the frozen ground.  They always make me think that spring is not far away.  


The Snowdrop
by Nessie Gell 
A fresh new snowdrop greeted me
Amongst the leaves beneath the tree
That delicate and tiny flower
Braves frost and raid and snowy shower
To tell us Spring is nigh 


My garden soon will bloom again
In summer sunshine, gentle rain
With pansies, roses, hollyhocks
But none can bring such joy to me
As that tiny snowdrop ‘neath the tree.


I love this photograph, the church in the background is so striking against the tiny flowers.



Snowdrops come in many different varieties some of which have chartreuse green centres.



It's so amazing how they have multiplied to carpet the ground on this gorgeous estate.



Poking themselves up at the base of a tree.  What a stunning contrast!


Hope we get some snow this weekend.  We haven't had any this year so far. 
Cheers, Barbie

No comments:

Post a Comment